Last Updated: 29th March 2018

What is a UK Unmarried Partner Visa?

An Unmarried Partner Visa, also referred to as a De Facto Visa, for UK entry enables an individual involved in a relationship with a UK citizen or settled person to apply for leave to enter or leave to remain in the UK who have been cohabiting for 2 years or more.

Find out if you qualify for an Unmarried Partner Visa, today.

Who is suitable for a UK Unmarried Partner Visa?

Unmarried couples in a relationship, with at least one person having UK settled status and whom have been cohabiting for 2 years or more can apply for a UK Unmarried Partner Visa.

What are the requirements for an Unmarried Partner Visa?

  • You must have been cohabiting for at least 2 years.
  • Neither partner can be in an existing marriage.
  • You must show evidence that you will be able to financially support yourself without recourse to public funds.
  • The person that’s settled in the UK must meet the financial requirements – minimum income threshold of £18,600, increased to £22,400 if one child is involved, plus £2,200 for each additional child. Alternatively, the sponsor can have savings of no less than £62,500 to satisfy the financial requirements – additional financial requirements apply for any dependent children that are not British citizens.
  • Both people in the relationship must be at least 18 years of age or over.
  • You and unmarried partner intends to stay permanently together in the UK.
  • You will need to pass a CEFR level A1 English language test in speaking and listening with a UK government recognised test provider unless you’re from a Majority English speaking country or you have an English taught degree that is recognised by UK NAVIC. You are required to pass A2 English test for extension.

Common questions asked about the UK Unmarried Partner Visa

How long can I stay in the UK?

The Unmarried Partner Visa is valid for 33 months when applying from overseas and 30 months if you’re applying from within the UK.

When can I apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain?

You can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after you have been in the UK, on an Unmarried Partner Visa, for 5 years.

Can I bring my children to the UK on this visa?

Yes. You can make an application for your child or children [under the age of 18] at the same time as you make your application.

Can I work?

Yes. As soon as the visa is granted, you’re allowed to find a job in the UK.

Find out if you qualify for an Unmarried Partner Visa, today.

One Immigration Solutions