What is a UK Civil Partnership Visa?
A UK Civil Partnership Visa entitles two people who have a legally registered same-sex marriage to apply for Leave to Enter or Leave to Remain in the UK.
Who is Suitable for a UK Civil Partnership Visa?
Persons who are in a civil partnership with a British citizen or permanent resident in the UK can apply for a UK Civil Partnership Visa.
What are the requirements for a UK Civil Partnership Visa?
- Both parties in the partnership have to be at least 18 years old
- Parties must be of the same-sex
- Parties must have met each other and be free to form a civil partnership i.e. divorced, single or widowed
- You must have suitable accommodation available for you in the UK
- Sponsors must meet the minimum income threshold of £18,600, increased to £24,800 if two children are involved, plus £2,200 for each additional child. Alternatively, the sponsor can have savings of no less than £62,500 to satisfy the financial requirements (additional financial requirements apply for any dependent children that are not British citizens).
Common questions asked about the UK Civil Partner Visa
How long can I stay in the UK?
If you’re applying from within the UK the visa is valid for 30 months. If you’re applying from overseas the visa is valid for 33 months.
When can I apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain?
You can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after 5 years.
Can I bring my children to the UK?
If children below the age of 18 are part of your UK Civil Partnership Visa application, they qualify for UK entry.
Can I work in the UK with a Civil Partner Visa?
Yes, as soon as the visa is granted. You won’t require a Work Permit and there are no restrictions upon the type of work that you can do.