Last Updated: 29th March 2018

What is a UK Marriage Visa?

A UK Marriage Visa for UK entry, also known as a Spouse Visa, enables an individual to apply for leave to enter or leave to remain in the UK on the basis they are married to, or in a civil partnership, with a person present and settled in Britain.

Who is suitable for a UK Marriage Visa?

  • Persons – within or outside the UK – that are married to, or in a civil partnership with, a UK citizen or person with settled status in the UK
  • Persons – in the UK on a Fiancé, Tier 2 Work Visa or a Tier 4 Student Visa, which is valid for over 6 months – can apply for a Marriage Visa

Check your eligibility for a UK Marriage Visa, today.

UK Marriage Visa – Eligibility

The following requirements must be satisfied before applying for a UK Marriage Visa:

  • Both parties in the marriage have to be at least 18 years old
  • Parties must have met each other, be legally married to each other and plan to live together in the UK
  • You must have suitable accommodation available for you in the UK
  • The person that’s settled in the UK must meet the financial requirements – minimum income threshold of £18,600, increased to £24,800 if two children are involved, plus £2,200 for each additional child. Alternatively, the sponsor can have savings of no less than £62,500 to satisfy the financial requirements – additional financial requirements apply for any dependent children that are not British citizens
  • If you intend to apply for a UK Marriage Visa you must be able to support your stay in the UK without recourse to public funds
  • You will need to satisfy English language requirements

Common questions asked about the Marriage Visa

How long can I stay in the UK?

If you’re applying from within the UK you can remain in the country for 30 months. Applications from overseas are valid for a 33 month period.

Can I extend my Marriage Visa?

Yes. You can extend a Marriage Visa by 30 months.

When can I apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain?

You can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after you have been in the UK, on a Marriage Visa, for 5 years.

Can I bring my children?

Yes. You can make an application for your child or children [under the age of 18] at the same time as you make your application.

Can I work?

Yes. Once a Marriage Visa is granted, you’re allowed to find employment in the UK.

What happens if my marriage breaks down?

UK Visa and Immigration Services must be informed and a decision will be made regarding your permission to remain in the UK.

Exceptional circumstances, EU Partner, Fiance Visa, please contact us today.

Check your eligibility for a UK Marriage Visa, today.

One Immigration Solutions