What is a UK Marriage Visa?
A UK Marriage Visa for UK entry, also known as a Spouse Visa, enables an individual to apply for leave to enter or leave to remain in the UK on the basis they are married to, or in a civil partnership, with a person present and settled in Britain.
Who is suitable for a UK Marriage Visa?
- Persons – within or outside the UK – that are married to, or in a civil partnership with, a UK citizen or person with settled status in the UK
- Persons – in the UK on a Fiancé, Tier 2 Work Visa or a Tier 4 Student Visa, which is valid for over 6 months – can apply for a Marriage Visa
UK Marriage Visa – Eligibility
The following requirements must be satisfied before applying for a UK Marriage Visa:
- Both parties in the marriage have to be at least 18 years old
- Parties must have met each other, be legally married to each other and plan to live together in the UK
- You must have suitable accommodation available for you in the UK
- The person that’s settled in the UK must meet the financial requirements – minimum income threshold of £18,600, increased to £24,800 if two children are involved, plus £2,200 for each additional child. Alternatively, the sponsor can have savings of no less than £62,500 to satisfy the financial requirements – additional financial requirements apply for any dependent children that are not British citizens
- If you intend to apply for a UK Marriage Visa you must be able to support your stay in the UK without recourse to public funds
- You will need to satisfy English language requirements
Common questions asked about the Marriage Visa
How long can I stay in the UK?
If you’re applying from within the UK you can remain in the country for 30 months. Applications from overseas are valid for a 33 month period.
Can I extend my Marriage Visa?
Yes. You can extend a Marriage Visa by 30 months.
When can I apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain?
You can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after you have been in the UK, on a Marriage Visa, for 5 years.
Can I bring my children?
Yes. You can make an application for your child or children [under the age of 18] at the same time as you make your application.
Can I work?
Yes. Once a Marriage Visa is granted, you’re allowed to find employment in the UK.
What happens if my marriage breaks down?
UK Visa and Immigration Services must be informed and a decision will be made regarding your permission to remain in the UK.