What is the Hong Kong British National (Overseas) visa?
On the 22nd of July 2020, the Home Office published guidance on the Hong Kong British National (Overseas) visa advising of the new route.
The Hong Kong BNO visa is a new route created for BNO citizens and their dependants after new national security legislation was enacted in Hong Kong. It will be available from the 31st of January 2021.
Who is the Hong Kong BNO visa suitable for?
- Hong Kong BNO citizens and their close family members
- Spouse or civil/unmarried partner
- Children under the age of 18
- Children of BN(O) citizens born on or after the 1st of July 1997 (these children can bring spouses and their own children who are under 18 years of age)
- Other family members where there is exceptional high dependency (parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters and children)
Applications must be done at the same time (exceptions exist for children under 18) and whilst eligibility for this visa is broad, your specific circumstances will be important in determining whether a family member will be eligible.
What are the requirements for the Hong Kong British National (Overseas) visa?
- You must be a BN(O) citizen although you don’t need a valid BN(O) passport nor do you need to request a new one to apply for this visa.
- Out of country applications must be ordinarily resident in Hong Kong.
- Those already in the UK must be ordinarily resident in Hong Kong, the UK, Jersey, Guernsey, or the Isle of Man.
- Show that you can accommodate yourself (or you and your family) for at least 6 months.*
- Show that you can financially support yourself (or you and your family) for at least 6 months.*
- Prove you are free from tuberculosis.*
* Exceptions apply
Common questions asked about the Hong Kong BN(O) visa
Can I apply now?
This visa will only be available from the 31st of January 2021.
How long will the visa last?
There are two options. You can either apply for 30 months or 5 years leave to stay in the UK.
Does this visa lead to settlement/Indefinite Leave to Remain?
You will be able to apply for settlement after living in the UK for 5 years if you meet the requirements.