What is a UK Fiancé Visa?
Applying for a Fiancé Visa for UK entry allows a foreign national to come to the UK to marry a British spouse within 6 months. If you are planning to enter in to civil partnership, you will have to apply as a proposed civil partner.
There’s no requirement for partners to have lived together to apply for this visa.
If you’re a UK citizen returning to the UK to live, lodge an application for your fiancé(e) and he or she can join you at the same time.
Who is suitable for a UK Fiancé(e) Visa or Proposed Civil Partner Visa?
Persons looking to marry a British citizen or permanent resident of the UK within 6 months of entering the UK can apply for a UK Fiancé(e) Visa. For same sex relationships, if you are planning to enter into civil partnership instead of marriage, you will have to apply for a proposed civil partner.
What are the requirements for a UK Fiancé(e) Visa or Proposed Civil Partner Visa?
- Both parties have to be at least 18 years of age.
- Parties must have met each other, not be legally married to each other (or anyone else) and plan to live together in the UK.
- You or your partner must have suitable accommodation available for you in the UK.
- You or your partner must be able to support your stay in the UK without accessing public funds, this includes children.
- Sponsors must meet the minimum income threshold of £18,600, increased to £22,400 if a child is involved, plus £2,200 for each additional child. Alternatively, the sponsor can have savings of no less than £62,500 to satisfy the financial requirements (additional financial requirements apply for any dependent children that are not British citizens).
- You will consider meeting English requirement if you have a degree taught in English in UK or another country (if your qualification is recognised by UK NARIC).
Common questions asked about the UK Fiancé(e) Visa or Proposed Civil Partner Visa?
Do I need to be living with my partner?
No, you’re not required to be living together to apply for this visa.
How long can I stay in the UK?
With a UK Fiancé Visa you will be able travel to the UK for up to six months, solely for the purpose of getting married. After the six month period you may apply to stay in the UK under spouse visa.
Can I work in the UK with a Fiancé Visa?
No, you’re not allowed to work until your Fiancé Visa is switched to a two and a half year Spouse Visa.
When can I apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)?
Once a UK Spouse Visa is granted and you have lived in Britain for five years or more you may apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK and British nationality after another 12 months (require to assess eligibility).
Can I bring my children to the UK?
If children below the age of 18 are part of your UK Fiancé Visa application, yes they qualify for UK entry.
In most Fiancé Visa cases involving dependants it’s advised that couples should first marry before making an application for dependants.
Where can I make the application?
You can only apply fiancé visa at your home country.
Do I need to pay for Immigration Health Surchage?
You do not need to pay for Immigration Health Surcharge. You are only required to pay when you apply for Spouse Visa.